4 Rhode Island Hospitals Granted $7.1M in Additional Medicare Payments

CMS has increased Medicare payments to four Rhode Island hospitals — Kent Hospital in Warwick, Newport (R.I.) Hospital, South County Hospital in Wakefield and The Westerly (R.I.) Hospital — by $7.1 million to provide more consistency across the state in reimbursement rates.

Sen. Jack Reed (D-R.I.) and three other local politicians spurred CMS to grant the additional Medicare funds to the four community hospitals, which they said will bring Medicare payment parity to all Rhode Island hospitals.

"This is a victory for Rhode Island hospitals that is long overdue," Sen. Reed said in a news release. "It will help ensure greater certainty for the hospitals and level the playing field for hospital staff so they are fairly paid for providing care to patients. I have had many conversations with CMS over the years, and I am pleased the agency has finally responded to the delegation's efforts to address the Medicare reimbursement disparity among hospitals in Rhode Island."

Kent Hospital is expected to receive an additional $3.26 million in Medicare reimbursement in fiscal year 2013, the largest amount of the four hospitals. Newport Hospital will receive $1.32 million, South County Hospital will receive $1.3 million and The Westerly Hospital will receive $1.19 million.

More Articles on Hospitals and Medicare:

Innovative Solutions or Market-Based Incentives: How Should Health Costs Be Controlled?

CMS' FY 2013 IPPS Final Rule: 9 Observations

Achieving Positive Medicare Margins: 5 Strategies for Hospitals

Copyright © 2024 Becker's Healthcare. All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy. Cookie Policy. Linking and Reprinting Policy.

Featured Whitepapers

Featured Webinars

>