5 staff treated after fire at UPMC hospital

A fire occurred in a hospital room at UPMC East Jan. 29 after a "patient may have attempted to light a cigarette while on oxygen," a hospital spokesperson told Becker's Jan. 30. 

UPMC staff immediately responded to the incident and moved nearby patients to other units, the spokesperson said. 

Five staff members were evaluated and treated after the incident. The spokesperson did not disclose the type or extent of any such injuries. 

The fire broke out around 11 p.m. at the Monroeville, Pa.-based hospital and was extinguished by midnight, NBC affiliate WPXI reported. 

Copyright © 2023 Becker's Healthcare. All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy. Cookie Policy. Linking and Reprinting Policy.


Featured Whitepapers

Featured Webinars