Report: Nearly 45% of Cath Lab Staff Say Volume Was Biggest Challenge in 2011

Patient volume is one of the biggest challenges for catheterization labs, with 44.8 percent of lab leaders and staff citing it as the number one challenge in 2011 and 41.4 percent saying it will continue to be the biggest challenge for 2012, according to a SpringBoard HealthCare report.

The "2012 Cardiac Cath Lab Performance Survey" includes responses from 359 cath lab leaders and staff members, 90 percent of whom represent hospital-based labs with the remaining 10 percent representing private practice and Veterans Affairs/government facilities.

While volumes were challenging, few labs experienced declining patient visits, as 40 percent of respondents reported volume increases and an additional 43.5 percent reported steady volumes. Approximately half of those who had rising volumes had an increase of less than 10 percent and nearly one-third had an increase between 10 percent and 20 percent.

The biggest factor contributing to volume growth, at nearly 50 percent, was new relationships with physicians, re-engaged or redefined relationships with physicians or improved physician relations.

More Articles on Hospital Cardiology:

Ideas and Concepts to Improve Cardiovascular Program Profitability
Acquiring Physicians, Cardiology Practices: Key Concepts to Consider

Analyzing 5 Key Compensation Areas: Cardiology, Neurosurgery, Oncology, Orthopedics and Primary Care

Copyright © 2022 Becker's Healthcare. All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy. Cookie Policy. Linking and Reprinting Policy.

 

Featured Learning Opportunities

Featured Whitepapers

Featured Webinars