Florida man dies of bacterial infection linked to raw oysters

  • Small
  • Medium
  • Large

A 71-year-old man died July 10 after contracting a bacterial infection from eating raw oysters at a restaurant in Sarasota, Fla., according to USA Today.

Officials from the Florida Department of Health identified the illness as vibriosis, which is caused by Virbrio vulnificus bacteria and can lead to diarrhea, abdominal cramping, nausea, vomiting, fever and chills.

The man, who had underlying medical conditions, died two days after eating the oysters, according to WWSB. The name of the restaurant has not been released.

Humans can contract vibriosis by eating raw shellfish, such as oysters, or by having open wounds exposed to seawater, as the bacteria naturally live in warm, brackish water. Infections attributed to the bacteria are rare, but can be potentially fatal for individuals with weakened immune systems.

More articles on clinical leadership and infection control: 

5-state salmonella outbreak linked to Hy-Vee pasta salad
CDC: 5 insights on foodborne illnesses, outbreaks
Avoid Honey Smacks cereal, linked to 33-state Salmonella outbreak, CDC warns

Copyright © 2022 Becker's Healthcare. All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy. Cookie Policy. Linking and Reprinting Policy.


Featured Whitepapers

Featured Webinars