10 Hospitals That Filed for Bankruptcy in 2013
Hospitals and health systems have been under varying degrees of financial pressure over the past few years, and in 2013, it forced 10 hospitals to file for bankruptcy.
Here are the 10 hospitals that filed for bankruptcy protection in 2013, starting with the most recent announcements.
1. Saint Francis Hospital and Health Centers in Poughkeepsie, N.Y., filed for bankruptcy this week due to mounting debt and an expensive technology rollout. Health Quest, a three-hospital system based in LaGrangeville, N.Y., has placed a bid to acquire most assets of 333-bed Saint Francis.
2. TLC Health Network, the operator of 220-bed Lake Shore Health Care Center in Irving, N.Y., filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy this month.
3. In December, Nye Regional Medical Center, a 10-bed acute-care hospital in Tonopah, Nev., filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy. The hospital had an occupancy rate of 11 percent in 2012.
4. Fairmont (W.Va.) General Hospital, a 207-bed independent hospital, filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection in September and initiated a search to partner with another hospital or health system.
5. In August, Westlake Regional Hospital, a 74-bed, county-owned in Columbia, Ky., filed for Chapter 9 bankruptcy, the first hospital in Kentucky ever to do so
6. New Rochelle, N.Y.-based Sound Shore Health System filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy in May, but Montefiore Medical Center, the four-hospital system based in the Bronx borough of New York City, announced it would purchase the assets of the troubled system. Montefiore closed on its purchase of Sound Shore in November.
7. Hardeman County Memorial Hospital, a 24-bed public hospital in Quanah, Texas, filed for Chapter 9 bankruptcy in March.
8. Exactly one year after opening in March 2012, 36-bed Florence (Ariz.) Hospital at Anthem filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy.
9. The operating authority of Pauls Valley (Okla.) General Hospital, a 64-bed, county-owned hospital, filed for Chapter 9 bankruptcy in March. SSM Health Care of Oklahoma, a subsidiary of St. Louis-based SSM Health Care, is reportedly looking to back out of its management agreement with Pauls Valley General.
10. Community Healthcare of Douglas, the operator of Southeast Arizona Medical Center in Douglas, Ariz., filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy in February.
More Articles on Hospitals and Bankruptcy:
What Does Chapter 9 Bankruptcy Mean for Public Hospitals?
Massive Stark Law Penalties Lead to Credit Downgrade for Tuomey
Interfaith Medical Center Closure Delayed
© Copyright ASC COMMUNICATIONS 2017. Interested in LINKING to or REPRINTING this content? View our policies by clicking here.