Are managers leading by example?

Managers have some work to do when it comes to leading by example, according to a recent report from job listings site Indeed and Forrester Consulting, a research and advisory company. 

The two companies surveyed 4,002 U.S. adults regarding their wellbeing at the workplace. Only 29 percent of people reported they were thriving at work, while the other 71 percent reported having low-to-moderate wellbeing. Older male respondents were more likely to report satisfaction at the workplace than women, Millennials and Gen Zers. 

Managers play an important role in employees' experiences and often serve as guides for young recruits. But only 56 percent of employees reported feeling supported by their manager, and 73 percent believe their manager does not welcome feedback. 

Workers also reported a disconnect between their managers' behavior and the expectations placed upon them. Sixty-one percent of respondents agreed their manager leads by example, and 64 percent agreed their manager knows what it's like to do their job. 

This isn't the only body of research to illuminate trouble in middle leadership — a recent Gallup poll found that managers are disengaged and burned out, and 55 percent are actively seeking a new role. 

The Indeed report offered some simple advice for managers: step back. When employees were asked what kind of support they wanted from their manager, 44 percent said they sought support in difficult situations and to feel heard. Forty-two percent said they didn't want to feel micromanaged, and only 17 percent reported needing regular meetings with their managers.

Copyright © 2024 Becker's Healthcare. All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy. Cookie Policy. Linking and Reprinting Policy.

 

Featured Whitepapers

Featured Webinars

>