Patient dies from pneumonia after Legionella found in Michigan hospital

A 92-year-old patient died from pneumonia after being treated for Legionnaires' disease at Hastings, Mich.-based Spectrum Health Pennock Hospital in late November, MLive.com reports.

The patient was treated for the disease and discharged from the hospital to a rehab center where he died.

The 92-year-old's case was "very complex" and although he died from chronic aspiration pneumonia, it is not possible to determine if it was linked to Legionnaires' disease, said Barry-Eaton District Health Medical Director Daniel Woodall.

The hospital tested its water Dec. 12 after the November case was confirmed. The results came back positive for Legionella bacteria.

Another Pennock Hospital patient was treated for Legionnaires' disease in September, Barry-Eaton District health department officials said in a press release obtained by MLive.com. Health officials discussed steps to eliminate the Legionella bacteria from the hospital's water system.

The hospital is using alternative water sources and water filtration to protect patients from the bacteria, according to health department leaders.

More articles on clinical leadership and infection control: 
Ebola cases surpass 580 in Congo; 356 dead
NIH hospital pipes held antibiotic-resistant bacteria linked to 3 patient deaths
CDC: 182 confirmed AFM cases in 2018 so far

© Copyright ASC COMMUNICATIONS 2019. Interested in LINKING to or REPRINTING this content? View our policies by clicking here.

 


IC Database-3

Top 40 Articles from the Past 6 Months