Earlier this month, U.S. District Judge Amos Mazzant blocked the rule for two weeks. Now, the U.S. Court for the Eastern District of Texas has issued a preliminary injunction on the rule that dialysis providers have said would harm thousands of the nation’s sickest patients, DaVita said in a statement released Wednesday. Dialysis providers Fresenius Medical Care, DaVita and U.S. Renal Care had filed a lawsuit to block the rule.
HHS announced the rule in December. Under the rule, dialysis providers would have to notify insurers of any charitable assistance their patients are receiving for their care, according to Reuters. But the providers said insurers would use that information to refuse coverage to their patients, the report states.
Moving forward, DaVita urged President Donald Trump’s administration and CMS to “not only eliminate this rule, but to take action to prevent insurance companies from discriminating against a vulnerable group of patients and ensure continued access to charitable premium assistance.”
More articles on legal and regulatory issues:
Connecticut lawmakers: Dealers should be ‘criminally liable’ for fatal opioid overdoses
Former employee accuses Mercy Hospital of overbilling Medicare: 7 things to know
Former Mount Sinai physician sentenced to 2 years for sexual abuse of patients
At the Becker's 11th Annual IT + Revenue Cycle Conference: The Future of AI & Digital Health, taking place September 14–17 in Chicago, healthcare executives and digital leaders from across the country will come together to explore how AI, interoperability, cybersecurity, and revenue cycle innovation are transforming care delivery, strengthening financial performance, and driving the next era of digital health. Apply for complimentary registration now.