88% of hospital execs feel threatened by Optum, CVS Health, Amazon: 4 notes

UnitedHealth Group's Optum poses the biggest perceived threat to hospital and health system executives worried about non-hospital competitors that offer consumer-friendly health services, according to Kaufman Hall's 2019 State of Consumerism in Healthcare report.

Here are four key takeaways from the report, which surveyed more than 200 executives from healthcare organizations across the U.S.

1. Only 8 percent of respondents believe non-hospital competitors' health offerings pose no threat to their own organizations; 88 percent, meanwhile, believe the opposite, citing Optum, CVS Health/Aetna and Amazon as major threats.

2. Nearly 70 percent of the executives listed Optum as having the highest degree of competitive threat to hospitals and health systems, with a total of 26 percent labeling the company as an "extreme threat." CVS Health/Aetna was close behind, at 66 percent, while 56 percent of respondents cited Amazon as a strong or extreme threat.

3. Amazon's perceived threat seems to stem largely from its unbeatable digital experience. Almost every respondent — 98 percent — admitted that their organizations' digital experiences are somewhat or significantly worse than Amazon's, with the remaining 2 percent claiming to offer a comparable (but not superior) experience to Amazon.

4. Google and Apple, meanwhile, pose less of a threat to hospitals and health systems: Fewer than 40 percent of the executives listed each company as a major source of competition.

More articles about health IT:
Nearly 90% of healthcare orgs are experimenting with emerging tech: AI, VR, blockchain
How Atrius Health reduced its annual EHR clicks by 50M
Premera Blue Cross agrees to $74M settlement after exposing 10.6 million patients

© Copyright ASC COMMUNICATIONS 2020. Interested in LINKING to or REPRINTING this content? View our policies by clicking here.


Featured Webinars

Featured Whitepapers