Patient gets donor's peanut allergy after lung transplant

Listen
Text
  • Small
  • Medium
  • Large

A 68-year-old patient acquired a peanut allergy after she received a lung transplant, according to Live Science.

Mazen Odish, MD, a fellow in pulmonary and critical care medicine at San Diego Medical Center at the University of California, told Live Science, it is uncommon for lung transplant recipients to get a food allergy from a donor.

Dr. Odisha said there have been four or five cases of organ recipients acquiring peanut allergies with anaphylaxis after a lung transplant, according to Live Science.

The female patient received a new lung from a male donor. Physicians thought she was experiencing respiratory failure after she felt a tightness in her chest. She then told physicians that she ate a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. Physicians contacted the organ agency and confirmed the previous lung donor had a peanut allergy.

Dr. Odisha told Live Science, it's unclear if transplant-acquired food allergies are a lifelong concern for patients because symptoms vary from recipient to recipient.

More articles on clinical leadership and infection control:

College students most at risk for rare bacterial infection, study finds
53 nurses, employees sickened after mold found in New York hospital
Johns Hopkins hospitals do not follow 'basic safety rules,' report claims

Copyright © 2021 Becker's Healthcare. All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy. Cookie Policy. Linking and Reprinting Policy.

 

Featured Whitepapers

Featured Webinars