Maryland man dies of flesh-eating bacteria

On Sept. 11, a man in Ocean City, Md., became infected with flesh-eating bacteria while cleaning crab pots at his bayside residence. The man, Michael Funk, died four days later, according to The Daily Times.

According to the CDC, Vibrio (flesh-eating) bacteria grow well in salty environments like seawater. People can become infected with the bacteria by consuming undercooked seafood or swimming with an exposed wound. Vibriosis is typically accompanied by watery diarrhea, abdominal cramping, nausea, vomiting, fever and chills.

Death from a Virbio infection is exceedingly rare. According to the CDC, the bacteria causes 80,000 illnesses annually, resulting in 100 deaths.

To learn more about vibriosis and Vibrio bacteria, click here.

More articles on infection control: 
Top 10 infection control stories, Oct. 17-21 
Legionella bacteria detected in Flint homes 
EPA's warning to Flint 7 months late, according to the inspector general

Copyright © 2022 Becker's Healthcare. All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy. Cookie Policy. Linking and Reprinting Policy.

 

Featured Whitepapers

Featured Webinars