RWJBarnabas executive charged with lewdness, indecent exposure

Police arrested Gerald Picerno, executive vice president and chief strategy officer of West Orange, N.J.-based RWJBarnabas Health, in Delaware Oct. 27 and charged him with three counts of lewdness, five counts of indecent exposure, two counts of third degree trespass and one count of harassment for at least three separate incidents that took place in September, according to New Brunswick Today.

The Newark (N.J.) Police Division began investigating Mr. Picerno, 57, after the department received several complaints regarding indecent behavior.

The first incident allegedly involving Mr. Picerno took place around 10:30 p.m. Sept. 15. Police said Mr. Picerno allegedly left a "lewd and harassing note" outside the door of a 20-year-old University of Delaware student's home in Newark.

Around 1 a.m. the same evening, police said a 21-year-old student identified "an unknown white male suspect … standing naked near her vehicle while masturbating," according to the report.

Roughly a half-hour later, two 19-year-old students claimed they had been walking through a parking lot and "a naked white male emerged from behind a set of dumpsters," the report states. He was allegedly holding his clothes and spoke to both individuals before jogging away.

A fourth incident reportedly took place on the University of Delaware campus Oct. 15, police said, according to the report.

Police positively identified Mr. Picerno's fingerprints on the note he left during the first incident and used the university's surveillance cameras to identify him in the related encounters, according to the report.

A police spokesperson told ROI-NJ.com Monday authorities do not know why Mr. Picerno was at the university Sept. 15, and that he does not maintain an affiliation with the university.

Mr. Picerno was arraigned and received a $5,500 unsecured bond, police said, according to the report. He was also ordered not to have contact with the university, the city of Newark or the victims.

A spokesperson for RWJBarnabas Health told Becker's Hospital Review Tuesday, "Mr. Picerno is on leave. Any inquiries about non-RWJBarnabas Health matters should be directed to his personal attorney."

Mr. Picerno's biography has also been scrubbed from the health system's website.

Editor's note: This article was updated at 9:45 a.m. to include a statement from RWJBarnabas Health.

More articles on legal and regulatory issues:
Rhode Island fines Prime Healthcare $1M for illegally converting 2 hospitals to nonprofits
Judge approves partial settlement for antitrust lawsuit against Duke, U of North Carolina
Vermont hospital wants its contractual ED operator, Dartmouth Hitchcock, to pay damages in patient malpractice lawsuit

© Copyright ASC COMMUNICATIONS 2019. Interested in LINKING to or REPRINTING this content? View our policies by clicking here.

 

Top 40 Articles from the Past 6 Months