The changes would raise the medical insurance premium from 10 percent to 20 percent and implement a deductible up to $2,600 per family. Jim Akhtar, an attorney representing the retirees, said that the county wants to begin implementing the changes on March 1. The county, according to Mr. Akhtar, hadn’t planned on notifying the retirees.
“It’s really unbelievably callous to do that to people and not tell them about it,” Mr. Akhtar said.
County Executive Warren Evans was named as one of the defendants. A spokesman for Mr. Evans, James Canning, stated, “We have reviewed the complaint and we are confident this case lacks merit.”
Earlier in the month, Mr. Evans publicized a 64 percent decrease in retiree healthcare liabilities. Those affected by the cuts say they’re being forced to absorb the costs of the county leader’s poor decisions, according to the Detroit Free Press.
More articles on legal issues:
Anesthesia-related malpractice claims decrease nearly 50% in 10 years: 5 insights
The state of IPAs: The answer to the ACA or prolonging the march to employment?
54 things to know about 6 major US payers
At the Becker's 11th Annual IT + Revenue Cycle Conference: The Future of AI & Digital Health, taking place September 14–17 in Chicago, healthcare executives and digital leaders from across the country will come together to explore how AI, interoperability, cybersecurity, and revenue cycle innovation are transforming care delivery, strengthening financial performance, and driving the next era of digital health. Apply for complimentary registration now.