University Hospitals projects $100M+ annual benefit from EHR install

Cleveland-based University Hospitals installed Epic EHR last year, a $400 million investment that consolidated 15 systems into a single integrated platform.

The project was $200 million under budget expectations and the payback period is projected to be around five years with annual financial benefits being $100 million after the implementation is complete. The health system kicked off the installation in 2021 and converted 5.6 million records throughout the process. Now, the fun part begins.

"Because it is the single largest investment we have ever made as a health system, in 2024 we are excited about leveraging all the bells and whistles Epic has to offer," Cliff Megerian, MD, CEO of University Hospitals, told Becker's. "For example, we will utilize MyChart and MyChart Bedside (inpatient environment) to enhance patient access, education, caregiver communication, billing and the sharing of clinical information."

Dr. Megerian said the new EHR will also drive operational efficiencies through enhanced analytics and dashboards. His team is excited about the time-saving features that could improve clinician satisfaction.

"We are also energized about exploring the potential opportunities AI presents for efficiency gains," Dr. Megerian said. "For example, we are exploring the use of generative AI to identify, evaluate and prioritize high-value problems that are worth solving within the UH system."

The health system is also examining ways AI can support new models of care and enhance its current software or video capabilities. University Hospitals has successfully integrated AI into its IVR system to direct call center inquiries.

"We recently tracked 2.4 million calls that went through an initial AI pre-screening and found 81% went to the right person for handling and the other 19% were able to self-serve or schedule using the AI tool's assistance," said Dr. Megerian.

Like what you see? All executives featured in this article will speak at the 14th Annual Meeting in Chicago! Hospital and health system leaders, click here to apply for a complimentary badge. Interested in exhibitor or sponsorship opportunities to connect with 3,000+ hospital and health system leaders? Download the prospectus here.

Copyright © 2024 Becker's Healthcare. All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy. Cookie Policy. Linking and Reprinting Policy.


Featured Whitepapers

Featured Webinars