50 Largest Nonprofit Hospitals in America | 2014
Here are the 50 largest nonprofit hospitals in America, listed by number of beds.
Figures are based on CMS cost report data analyzed by American Hospital Directory. Data are for short term acute-care hospitals, critical access hospitals and children's hospitals. Data was analyzed June 3, 2014.
Note: The hospital bed counts reported here include all medical/surgical and special care beds as reported to CMS by the hospitals in their most recent cost reports and, in some cases, may include bed counts from other facilities that share a provider number with the main hospital. Those facilities are identified in footnotes. The hospital rankings total 50, although the list includes ties, which means there are more than 50 individual facilities listed.
For the purposes of this list, AHD data were stratified to include the following "type of control" categories: governmental hospital district; governmental city; governmental city-county; governmental county; governmental federal; governmental other; governmental state; voluntary nonprofit (church); and voluntary nonprofit (other).
1. New York-Presbyterian Hospital/Weill Cornell Medical Center (New York City)1 — 2,478
2. Florida Hospital Orlando2 — 2,242
3. Jackson Memorial Hospital (Miami)3 — 1,732
4. UPMC Presbyterian (Pittsburgh)4 — 1,583
5. Yale-New Haven (Conn.) Hospital5 — 1,552
6. Orlando (Fla.) Regional Medical Center6 — 1,510
7. Montefiore Hospital – Moses Campus7 — 1,438
8. Indiana University Health Methodist Hospital (Indianapolis)8 — 1,372
9. Methodist University Hospital (Memphis, Tenn.) — 1,367
10. Barnes-Jewish Hospital (Saint Louis, Mo.) — 1,335
11. Norton Hospital (Louisville, Ky.)9 — 1,295
12. Cleveland Clinic — 1,277
13. The Mount Sinai Medical Center (New York City)10 — 1,221
14. Memorial Hermann Southwest Hospital (Houston)11 — 1,176
15. Buffalo (N.Y.) General Hospital12 — 1,159
16. UAB Hospital (Birmingham, Ala.) — 1,118
17. North Shore University Hospital (Manhasset, N.Y.)13 — 1,076
18. Beaumont Hospital, Royal Oak (Mich.) — 1,070
19. Christiana Hospital (Newark, Del.)14 — 1,064
20. Memorial Regional Hospital (Hollywood, Fla.)15 — 1,037
21. Mount Sinai Beth Israel Medical Center (New York City)16 — 1,011
22. Saint Joseph's Hospital (Tampa, Fla.)17 — 1,006
23. Bergen Regional Medical Center (Paramus, N.J.) — 999
23. Massachusetts General Hospital (Boston) — 999
24. Butterworth Hospital (Grand Rapids, Mich.)18 — 998
25. Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center (Columbus, Ohio)19 — 978
25. The Johns Hopkins Hospital (Baltimore) — 978
26. Vanderbilt University Hospital (Nashville, Tenn.)20 — 956
27. Tampa (Fla.) General Hospital — 947
28. Thomas Jefferson University Hospital (Philadelphia)21 — 945
29. Carolinas Medical Center (Charlotte, N.C.)22 — 933
30. Grady Memorial Hospital (Atlanta) — 931
30. University of Michigan Hospitals and Health Centers (Ann Arbor, Mich.) — 931
31. Mercy Hospital Saint Louis — 929
32. Long Island Jewish Medical Center (New Hyde Park, N.Y.)23 — 921
33. The Moses H. Cone Memorial Hospital (Greensboro, N.C.)24 — 918
34. Aurora Saint Luke's Medical Center (Milwaukee)25 — 913
35. Bellevue Hospital Center (New York City) — 912
36. Mount Sinai St. Luke's (New York City)26 — 907
37. Houston Methodist Hospital — 897
38. Cedars-Sinai Medical Center (Los Angeles) — 896
38. Jewish Hospital (Louisville, Ky.)27 — 896
39. Northwestern Memorial Hospital (Chicago) — 893
40. Charlton Memorial Hospital (Fall River, Mass.)28 — 889
41. Mayo Clinic Hospital – Saint Mary's Campus (Rochester, Minn.) — 885
42. Memorial Hermann – Texas Medical Center (Houston)29 — 883
42. UF Health Shands at the University of Florida (Gainesville)30 — 883
43. Sharp Memorial Hospital (San Diego)31 — 881
44. Brookdale University Hospital and Medical Center (Brooklyn, N.Y.) — 879
45. Huntsville (Ala.) Hospital32 — 870
45. Inova Fairfax Hospital (Falls Church, Va.) — 870
46. Baylor University Medical Center at Dallas — 869
47. Lehigh Valley Hospital Cedar Crest (Allentown, Pa.) — 868
48. Baptist Medical Center Jacksonville (Fla.)33 — 864
48. Hartford (Conn.) Hospital — 864
49. Vidant Medical Center (Greenville, N.C.) — 861
50. Loma Linda (Calif.) University Medical Center34 — 854
 Includes information for NewYork-Presbyterian/Morgan Stanley Children's Hospital, New York-Presbyterian Hospital/Columbia University Medical Center NewYork-Presbyterian/Weill Cornell Medical Center , NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital/ Westchester Division and NewYork-Presbyterian/Lower Manhattan Hospital.
 Includes information for Florida Hospital Altamonte, Florida Hospital Apopka, Florida Hospital Celebration Health, Florida Hospital East Orlando, Florida Hospital Kissimmee and Winter Park Memorial Hospital.
 Includes information for the Jackson Rehabilitation Hospital, Jackson South Community Hospital, Jackson North Medical Center and Holtz Children's Hospital.
 Includes information for UPMC Shadyside and UPMC Montefiore.
 Includes information for Yale-New Haven Psychiatric Hospital.
 Includes information for the Arnold Palmer Hospital for Children, the M.D. Anderson Cancer Center Orlando, the Dr. P. Phillips Hospital, Lucerne Hospital, South Seminole Hospital and Winnie Palmer Hospital for Women & Babies.
 Includes information for The Children's Hospital at Montefiore, the Montefiore Medical Center - Weiler Division Hospital, Montefiore Medical Center - North Division Hospital and Montefiore Westchester Square Campus.
 Includes information for IU Health Indiana University Hospital and Riley Hospital for Children.
 Includes information for Kosair Children's Hospital, Norton Audubon Hospital, Norton Suburban Hospital and Norton Brownsboro Hospital.
 Includes information for The Mount Sinai Hospital of Queens.
 Includes information for Memorial Hermann Northwest Hospital, Memorial Hermann Southeast Hospital, and Memorial Hermann The Woodlands Hospital.
 Includes information for DeGraff Memorial Hospital, Millard Fillmore Suburban Hospital, and the Women & Children's Hospital of Buffalo.
 Includes information for Syosset Hospital.
 Includes information for Wilmington Hospital.
 Includes information for both the Joe DiMaggio Children's Hospital and Memorial Regional Hospital South.
 Includes information for Beth Israel Medical Center - Kings Highway Division.
 Includes information for both Saint Joseph's Women's Hospital and Saint Joseph's Children's Hospital of Tampa.
 Includes information for Blodgett Hospital and the Helen DeVos Children's Hospital.
 Includes information for Ohio State's Richard M. Ross Heart Hospital, Ohio State University Harding Hospital and Ohio State University Hospital East.
 Includes information for both the Monroe Carell Jr. Children's Hospital at Vanderbilt and the Psychiatric Hospital at Vanderbilt.
 Includes information for Methodist Hospital.
 Includes information for Carolinas Medical Center-Randolph.
 Includes information for The Zucker Hillside Hospital and Steven and Alexandra Cohen Children's Medical Center of New York.
 Includes information for the Annie Penn Hospital, Moses Cone Behavioral Health Center, Wesley Long Community Hospital, and The Women's Hospital of Greensboro.
 Includes information for Aurora Saint Luke's South Shore and Aurora Sinai Medical Center.
 Includes information for Saint Luke's-Roosevelt Hospital Center - Roosevelt Hospital.
 Includes information for the Frazier Rehab Institute, Saint Mary and Elizabeth Hospital and Our Lady of Peace.
 Includes information for both Saint Luke's Hospital and Tobey Hospital.
 Includes information for Children's Memorial Hermann Hospital.
 Includes information for both Shands at Vista and Shands Rehab Hospital.
 Includes information for Sharp Mary Birch Hospital for Women and Newborns.
 Includes information for Huntsville Hospital for Women and Children.
 Includes information for Baptist Medical Center South, Wolfson Children's Hospital and The Baptist Heart Hospital
 Includes information for both the Loma Linda University Children's Hospital and the Loma Linda University Medical Center - East Campus.
This list was updated 6/26/14.
© Copyright ASC COMMUNICATIONS 2014. Interested in LINKING to or REPRINTING this content? View our policies by clicking here.