The summer's top 25 books on leadership and management
Of all of the literature on leadership and business, some books stand out against the rest.
Based on its list of best sellers, book seller 800-CEO-Read released its July 2015 "Top 25: What Corporate America is Reading" list. The Front-Line Leader: Building a High-Performance Organization from the Ground Up by Chris Van Gorder, president and CEO of San Diego-based Scripps Health, ranked No. 10.
Mr. Van Gorder's book details how an on-duty injury as a police officer set him on the track to become a leading hospital administrator, his leadership philosophy and sense of social responsibility, his experience presiding over the health system's dramatic turnaround and the importance of "leading on the front lines," of being a familiar face and knowing his employees across the organization.
The complete list of books the made the cut is shown below.
1. How: Why How We Do Anything Means Everything by Dov Seidman
2. Your Strategy Needs a Strategy: How to Choose and Execute the Right Approach by Martin Reeves
3. Team Genius: The New Science of High-Performing Organizations by Rich Karlgaard and Michael S. Malone
4. The Wright Brothers by David McCullough
5. The Together Teacher: Plan Ahead, Get Organized, and Save Time! by Maia Heyck-Merlin
6. The Revenue Growth Habit: The Simple Art of Growing Your Business by 15% in 15 Minutes Per Day by Alex Goldfayn
7. The Great Game of Business: The Only Sensible Way to Run a Company by Jack Stack
8. Unselling: The New Customer Experience by Scott Stratten and Alison Kramer
9. Penguins Can't Fly: +39 Other Rules That Don't Exist by Jason Kotecki
10. The Front-Line Leader: Building a High-Performance Organization from the Ground Up by Chris Van Gorder
11. Data Driven: How Performance Analytics Delivers Extraordinary Sales Results by Jenny Dearborn
12. Disrupting Digital Business: Create an Authentic Experience in the Peer-To-Peer Economy by R "Ray" Wang
13. Never Fly Solo: Lead with Courage, Build Trusting Partnerships, and Reach New Heights in Business by Rob "Waldo" Waldman
14. From Values to Action: The Four Principles of Values-Based Leadership by Harry M. Jansen Kraemer Jr.
15. Joy, Inc.: How We Built a Workplace People Love by Richard Sheridan
16. The Art of the Start 2.0: The Time-Tested, Battle-Hardened Guide for Anyone Starting Anything by Guy Kawasaki
17. The Career Playbook: Essential Advice for Today's Aspiring Young Professional by James M. Citrin
18. The Achievement Habit: Stop Wishing, Start Doing, and Take Command of Your Life by Bernard Roth
19. The Road to Reinvention: How to Drive Disruption and Accelerate Transformation by Josh Linkner
20. To Sell Is Human: The Surprising Truth About Moving Others by Daniel H. Pink
21. Give and Take: Why Helping Others Drives Our Success by Adam Grant
22. Train Your Brain for Success: Read Smarter, Remember More, and Break Your Own Records by Roger Seip
23. Two Awesome Hours: Science-Based Strategies to Harness Your Best Time and Get Your Most Important Work Done by Josh Davis
24. The Power of Being Yourself: A Game Plan for Success - by Putting Passion into Your Life and Work by Joe Plumeri
25. Shareology: How Sharing is Powering the Human Economy by Bryan J. Kramer
More articles on leadership and management:
Week in review: 10 biggest healthcare stories this week
The GOP debate: Who said what about healthcare?
Former president and CEO of BCBS of Louisiana CEO dies
© Copyright ASC COMMUNICATIONS 2017. Interested in LINKING to or REPRINTING this content? View our policies by clicking here.