CEO Compensation of the 25 Top-Grossing Non-Profit Hospitals
According to the most recent Form 990s filed by each hospital, the combined compensation of the top executives at the 25 top-grossing non-profit hospitals totaled more than $59 million a couple years ago. Here are the compensation figures of those hospitals' CEOs, presidents and/or executive directors. Names and figures are presented in order based on the organization's rank in the most recent Becker's Hospital Review list of "25 Top-Grossing Non-Profit Hospitals."
Note: All compensation figures include base salary, deferred compensation and other reportable compensation from the institution's Form 990. All figures listed are from 2010 unless noted. Hospitals that were part of systems and did not have individual CEOs were represented by the health system CEO.
1. Jeffrey Romoff, University of Pittsburgh Medical Center — $5.97 million
2. Delos Cosgrove, MD, Cleveland Clinic — $2.31 million
3. Herbert Pardes, MD, former CEO of NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital (New York City) — $4.35 million
4. Lars Houmann, Florida Hospital Orlando — $2.92 million
5. Thomas Priselac, Cedars-Sinai Medical Center (Los Angeles) — $2.77 million (2011)
6. Martha Marsh, former CEO of Stanford Hospital & Clinics (Palo Alto, Calif.) — $1.92 million
7. Steven Safyer, MD, Montefiore Medical Center (Bronx, N.Y.) — $4.07 million
8. Garry Scheib, executive director of Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania (Philadelphia) — $1.53 million
9. Sandra Gomberg, former interim CEO of Temple University Hospital (Philadelphia) — $508,753
10. John Hillenmeyer, former CEO of Orlando Regional Medical Center — $2.24 million
11. Peter Slavin, MD, Massachusetts General Hospital (Boston) — $2.5 million
12. Robert Garrett, Hackensack (N.J.) University Medical Center — $1.83 million
13. Patrick Gavin, Crozer-Chester Medical Center (Upland, Pa.) — $266,926 (named president in July 2010)
14. Daniel Evans Jr., Indiana University Health Methodist Hospital (Indianapolis) — $2.08 million
15. Elizabeth Nabel, MD, Brigham and Women's Hospital (Boston) — $1.6 million
16. Larry Goldberg, former CEO of Vanderbilt University Medical Center (Nashville, Tenn.) — $842,854
17. Robert Grossman, MD, New York University Langone Medical Center (New York City) — $3.49 million (includes compensation from related organizations)
18. Ronald Hytoff, former CEO of Tampa (Fla.) General Hospital — $2.33 million
19. Kevin Wardell, president of Norton Hospital (Louisville, Ky.) — $743,592
20. Dean Harrison, Northwestern Memorial Hospital (Chicago) — $9.72 million
21. Thomas Lewis, former CEO of Thomas Jefferson University Hospital (Philadelphia) — $1.28 million (2011)
22. Susan Somerville, RN, executive director of North Shore University Hospital (Manhasset, N.Y.) — $839,734
23. Ron Girotto, former CEO of The Methodist Hospital (Houston) — $2.57 million (2009)
24. Ruthita Fike, Loma Linda (Calif.) University Medical Center — $997,707
25. Kevin Sowers, president of Duke University Hospital (Durham, N.C.) — $658,592
More Articles on Hospital CEO Compensation:
© Copyright ASC COMMUNICATIONS 2015. Interested in LINKING to or REPRINTING this content? View our policies by clicking here.
To receive the latest hospital and health system business and legal news and analysis from Becker's Hospital Review, sign-up for the free Becker's Hospital Review E-weekly by clicking here.