14 ICD-10 Questions Hospitals Should Ask Software Vendors

Hospitals that are transitioning to ICD-10 need to be communicating with their software vendors, as vendors are instrumental for ICD-10 upgrades, testing and staff training, according to a CMS news update.

Here are 14 questions about ICD-10 hospitals should be asking their software vendors.

Existing vendors

•    Will a mapping or crosswalk strategy be used between ICD-9 and ICD-10 code sets?
•    What is your timeline for system modifications and what do those modifications include?
•    Will you continue to support applications or are you discontinuing some products in the wake of the ICD-10 transition?
•    Are there any new hardware requirements associated with ICD-10-related software changes?
•    Will training be provided for any new ICD-10-related functionality, and is there a charge?
•    Is there a phased approach for implementing ICD-10?

New vendors
•    How does your product simplify my organization's transition to ICD-10?
•    How does the functionality offered by your system compare with my current system?
•    Does your implementation require a complete system conversion?
•    Based on what I already have in place, how much will it cost to convert to your system?
•    What are the costs of maintenance for your product?
•    Who in this area is using your current system?
•    What kind of product quality guarantees do you offer, and are these guarantees included in the contract?
•    What is your timeframe for implementation?

More Articles on ICD-10:

5 Initial Tasks for a Hospital ICD-10 Project Team

ICD-10 or ICD-11? The Dilemma Behind Both Coding Systems

Health Affairs: ICD-10 Delay Should Be Used to Prepare for ICD-11, SNOMED

Copyright © 2024 Becker's Healthcare. All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy. Cookie Policy. Linking and Reprinting Policy.

Featured Whitepapers

Featured Webinars

>