WHO doubles suggested abstinence period after traveling to active Zika zones

The World Organization has upped the recommended number of weeks people should follow safe sex practices or abstain from sex after returning from Zika-infected areas from four to eight, according to Reuters Health.

WHO updated the suggested abstinence period after scientists discovered the virus can linger in blood longer than previously thought, WHO spokesman Christian Lindmeier said in a news briefing, according to the Reuters Health report.

Sign up for our FREE E-Weekly for more coverage like this sent to your inbox!

Mr. Lindmeier also said scientists are still trying to determine how long the virus can be detected in saliva, but tests have been inconclusive thus far, according to Reuters Health.

For WHO's full interim guidance on preventing the sexual transmission of Zika virus, click here.

 

 

More articles on Zika:
Infographic: Where in the US have Zika cases been reported? [May 27 update]
Four national physician organizations urge Congress to fund Zika fight
House speaker calls for relaxed EPA regulations to combat Zika-carrying mosquitoes

© Copyright ASC COMMUNICATIONS 2019. Interested in LINKING to or REPRINTING this content? View our policies by clicking here.

 


IC Database-3

Top 40 Articles from the Past 6 Months