Banner-UMC Tucson diverts new trauma patients after electrical problem

Southern Arizona's sole Level I trauma center was in trouble July 14 when smoke started coming from an electrical panel in the basement, according to Tucson.com.

After an electrical panel in the basement of Banner-University Medical Center Tucson (Ariz.) started issuing smoke around 1:00 pm, hospital officials began diverting new trauma patients to Banner's UMC-South Campus, also in Tucson.

At 8:30 pm, Banner-UMC Tucson's electrical generators started working again and it began accepting trauma patients, according to David Lozano, a Banner Health spokesperson.

The hospital stopped admitting new patients to the ER for a few hours after 1:00 pm, but its other departments were functioning as usual, Mr. Lozano added, according to the report.

The Tucson Fire Department believes "an overloaded circuit breaker may have caused the outage," said Corey Schubert, a Banner Health spokesperson in Phoenix, according to the report.

More articles on patient flow:
Idaho Medicaid patients have a new, Uber-like way to get to the hospital: 6 things to know
San Diego hospital uses Harry Potter-like tech tool to keep an eye on patients
Colorado Springs Health Partners adds online check-in to urgent care locations

© Copyright ASC COMMUNICATIONS 2020. Interested in LINKING to or REPRINTING this content? View our policies by clicking here.

 

Featured Webinars

Featured Whitepapers