California nursing home faces lawsuit following 2nd death after residents served dishwashing liquid

A San Mateo, Calif.-based assisted living facility is facing a wrongful death lawsuit after a second resident died from being served dishwashing liquid, Mercury News reported Sept. 24.

Three residents at Atria Park Senior Living facility were "mistakenly" served dishwashing liquid in August. Trudy Maxwell, 93, died from poisoning after the incident. Peter Schroder Jr., 93, was hospitalized alongside another resident and died Sept. 7.

The lawsuit, filed Sept. 16 by Mr. Schroder's children, alleges negligence, elder abuse and wrongful death.

Atria emailed the following statement to Becker's Sept. 28. 

"Our residents will always be our top priority. We devote significant resources to ensure our staff are thoroughly trained and able to meet our residents’ needs at all times. We take incidents like this very seriously. We're continuing to work with authorities and the Department of Social Services to fully review and assess the incident. Our hearts remain with the residents affected, their families, and loved ones." 

Copyright © 2023 Becker's Healthcare. All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy. Cookie Policy. Linking and Reprinting Policy.

 

Featured Whitepapers

Featured Webinars