New Hampshire Hospitals: State Medicaid is “Broken”

Several New Hampshire hospitals have asked the federal government to intervene in the state’s Medicaid program, calling the system “broken,” according to a New Hampshire Union Leader report.

Advertisement

New Hampshire’s hospitals have been battling state legislators since last year after they approved a plan to cut $115 million from the program — and hospital reimbursements — over two years. The hospitals have also said the New Hampshire officials violated the federal Medicaid Act by providing inadequate reimbursement.

In a letter to the state, the hospitals said federal intervention is necessary to keep the system from crumbling. However, the letter did not ask for a complete federal takeover, said Frank McDougall, vice president of government affairs for Lebanon, N.H.-based Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center, in the report.

In response, state Medicaid officials said the program is vital to the state, and the program will become more efficient when a managed care model takes form, which is currently pending approval.

More Articles on New Hampshire Medicaid:

New Hampshire Proposes 3 Managed Medicaid Contracts; Groups Call for Public Review

New Hampshire Ordered to Give Notice on Medicaid Hospital Reimbursements

New Hampshire Hospitals Expected to Pay More in Medicaid Taxes

At the Becker's 11th Annual IT + Revenue Cycle Conference: The Future of AI & Digital Health, taking place September 14–17 in Chicago, healthcare executives and digital leaders from across the country will come together to explore how AI, interoperability, cybersecurity, and revenue cycle innovation are transforming care delivery, strengthening financial performance, and driving the next era of digital health. Apply for complimentary registration now.

Advertisement

Next Up in Financial Management

Advertisement

Comments are closed.