7 of the Most Popular iPad Apps for Physicians
1. Calculate (free). QxMD's Calculate iPad app serves as a one-stop shop for physicians, providing more than 150 different medical calculators and clinical decision support tools for a wide range of specialties, including cardiology, internal medicine, orthopedics, neurosurgery, general surgery and gastroenterology. The app can assist physicians in determining prognosis, diagnosis and dosage. It also includes a surgical safety checklist.
2. drchrono EHR (free). The drchrono EHR iPad app is touted as the most affordable EHR in the market. The iPad app allows physicians to complete a wide range of administrative and clinical procedures while remaining completely paperless, including billing, drug-drug interaction tests and speech-to-text clinical notes. Patients' medical records can be instantly accessed to update medications, allergy lists and even schedule appointments.
3. Medical Spanish ($4.99). The Medical Spanish app for iPad was designed to help physicians better communicate with Spanish-speaking patients. The app includes more than 5,000 phrases, includes phrases specific to medical history, prescriptions, exams and conditions. It also features basic Spanish language and educational resources to help low-literacy patients understand their health.
4. Micromedex (free with Micromedex subscription). Thomson Reuter's Micromedex iPad app is a resource designed specifically to provide healthcare providers with the most comprehensive source of drug information and databases. The app includes databases such as, DISEASEDEX Emergency Medicine and DISEASEDEX General Medicine, Lab Advisor, Martindale and Index Nominum.
5. Mobile MIM (free). The Mobile MIM app for iPads received FDA 510(k) clearance for remote diagnostic viewing of CT, PET, MRI and SPECT images. Physicians and other medical professionals can download images to the device using MIMcloud.com, an Internet-based service which allows secure upload and download of encrypted medical data. The app is HIPAA-compliant and includes varying capabilities, including zoom, pan and window and level.
6. QuantiaMD (free with QuantiaMD registration). The QuantiaMD platform was made into an iPad app for easier, on-the-go accessibility to clinical learning opportunities. The app offers Expert Practice Series segments, featuring 8-10 minute clinical presentations by healthcare experts, as well as peer discussions and free CME credits. The app also serves as a forum for physicians to discuss healthcare-related topics.
7. Skyscape Medical Resources (free). The Skyscape Medical Resources app allows users to access and download hundreds of different medical resources, including Outlines in Clinical Medicine, Archimedes - Medical Calculator, RxDrugs: Drug Dosing Tool and MedAlert. These sources are included in the app to assist in clinical decision-making and are drawn from various top publishers, industry guidelines, drug guides and algorithms. The download for the iPad features improved text and graphics.
© Copyright ASC COMMUNICATIONS 2015. Interested in LINKING to or REPRINTING this content? View our policies by clicking here.
To receive the latest hospital and health system business and legal news and analysis from Becker's Hospital Review, sign-up for the free Becker's Hospital Review E-weekly by clicking here.