WHO head 'profoundly worried' about Ebola spreading from Congo

The head of the World Health Organization said he is highly concerned about Ebola spreading to other countries from the Democratic Republic of Congo, reports CIDRAP News.

WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, PhD, said the number of Ebola cases will likely rise in the Congo after a series of attacks forced health workers to pause response efforts last week.

"I am profoundly worried," he tweeted May 10. "The increased transmission rates raise the risk of #Ebola spreading in #DRC and to surrounding countries."

Health officials reported 23 new Ebola cases May 10, bringing the total case count to 1,649 confirmed and probable infections. The outbreak's death toll is up to 1,105, and 444 people have been healed. Another 310 suspected cases are still under investigation.

Dr. Tedros renewed his call for more political and financial support from groups worldwide to help end the outbreak.

More articles on clinical leadership and infection control:
VA patient's psych unit escape spurs DC hospital to review policies
Flu activity continues to fall: 6 updates
Michigan investigates Legionnaires' case possibly linked to McLaren Flint

© Copyright ASC COMMUNICATIONS 2019. Interested in LINKING to or REPRINTING this content? View our policies by clicking here.

 


IC Database-3

Top 40 Articles from the Past 6 Months