Deadly bacteria kills dog, infects human in Arkansas: 4 things to know

A dog in Arkansas contracted Leptospirosis and passed it on to its groomer before dying, according to a THV11 report. Here are four things to know about the bacteria and this case.

1. Leptospirosis is an infection caused by bacteria in the Leptospira genus that affects humans and animals, according to the CDC. Common wild and domestic animals that carry the bacteria include cattle, pigs, horses, dogs and rodents.

2. Humans can become infected through contact with urine and other body fluids (not saliva) from an infected animal or contact with water, soil or food contaminated with urine from an infected animal. Human-to-human transmission is rare.

3. Leptospirosis is treatable with antibiotics like doxycyline or penicillin. Symptoms in humans rage widely, including high fever, headache, chills, vomiting, red eyes, abdominal pain and a rash, but some humans don't show any symptoms. If left untreated, Leptospirosis can lead to kidney damage, meningitis, liver failure and even death.

4. In Arkansas, the groomer got sick after coming in contact with the dog's urine. However, the groomer is on antibiotics and is doing well, according to the report.

Copyright © 2022 Becker's Healthcare. All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy. Cookie Policy. Linking and Reprinting Policy.

 

Featured Whitepapers

Featured Webinars