Risk corridor program lacks $2.5B

CMS reported last week insurers will receive $362 million in risk corridor payments for 2014, or 12.6 percent of the $2.87 billion requested.

Advertisement

This means the three-year risk corridor program — which aims to temporarily level the financial playing field for payers taking on newly insured, costlier patients — fell short by more than $2.5 billion in its first year.

Insurers pay into the program if their premiums exceed claims and other costs by a set amount. That money is funneled back to payers whose claims surpass premiums by a certain amount, effectively evening the risk of covering the newly insured.

Insurers will receive the payments for 2014 later this year. The $2.5 billion shortfall will be paid out of 2015 collections and 2016 collections, if necessary, according to CMS. In the event of a major shortfall in available funds in 2016, the last year of the program, CMS said it will explore other sources of funding.

“We recognize that for a limited number of insurers, a lower than expected 2014 risk corridor payment may raise concerns. We will be in close contact with those states and insurers in the coming days,” said CMS in a statement.

 

More articles on payer issues:

Highmark lowers premiums for 2016 Medicare Advantage plans
Assurant completes sale of business lines to National General Holdings Corp.
5 things to know about ACA enrollment trends

At the Becker's 11th Annual IT + Revenue Cycle Conference: The Future of AI & Digital Health, taking place September 14–17 in Chicago, healthcare executives and digital leaders from across the country will come together to explore how AI, interoperability, cybersecurity, and revenue cycle innovation are transforming care delivery, strengthening financial performance, and driving the next era of digital health. Apply for complimentary registration now.

Advertisement

Next Up in Transactions & Valuation Issues

Advertisement

Comments are closed.