2 Boston physicians found slain in condominium

A 30-year-old man was arraigned in his hospital bed Monday afternoon on two charges of murder after two Boston physicians were found slain in their condominium Friday evening. The suspect's attorney entered not guilty pleas on his behalf, according to The Boston Globe.

Richard Field, MD, 49, and Lina Bolanos, MD, 38, were found dead by police inside the penthouse of a luxury condominium building in South Boston on Friday around 8:45 p.m. Both had their hands tied and their throats cut. The scene contained a written "message of retribution on the wall," according to The Boston Globe. Police also said the suspect had allegedly filled a backpack with jewelry, according to a second Boston Globe report.

Dr. Field was an anesthesiologist at Beverly, Mass.-based North Shore Pain Management, while Dr. Bolanos was a pediatric anesthesiologist at Boston-based Massachusetts Eye and Ear and an instructor at Harvard Medical School. The two were engaged.

Police arrested and charged Bampumim Teixeira in connection to the deaths.

Boston Police Commissioner William Evans said Mr. Teixeira was in the condo at the time police responded to a call regarding a man with a gun. Police initially stated that the suspect opened fire when officers confronted him at the door, and officers fired back and injured him, according to the The Boston Globe.

However, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel Conley contradicted those claims during a press conference Monday. He said it appeared Mr. Teixeira did not shoot at police and that police did not find a gun on him after he was captured, according to a second Boston Globe report. He also and said there was "no evidence" Mr. Teixeira knew either physician, countering initial claims from police that the suspect knew Drs. Field and Bolanos.

"There is no evidence whatsoever at this stage that the defendant had a personal relationship with either Dr. Field or Dr. Bolanos," Mr. Conley said during the press conference. "Nor is there any evidence to explain why he would attack them so viciously."

As of Monday, Mr. Teixeira was hospitalized at Tufts Medical Center in Boston with non-life-threatening injuries. A judge has ordered Mr. Teixeira be held without bail, according to The Boston Globe.

Mr. Teixeira had recently been released from a house of correction in April, according to The Boston Globe. He was sentenced to spend 364 days in a house of correction after pleading guilty to two counts of larceny for his involvement in two bank robberies in 2014 and 2016, according to the report.

Editor's note: This report has been updated to include new information.

Copyright © 2022 Becker's Healthcare. All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy. Cookie Policy. Linking and Reprinting Policy.


Featured Whitepapers

Featured Webinars