9 Most Common Medical Errors
The nine most common medical errors in the U.S., by occurrence
At the Patient Safety Movement Patient Safety, Science & Technology Summit, Senator Barbara Boxer (D-Calif.), shared a list of the nine most common medical errors in the United States.
Addressing attendees, she explained that when Patient Safety Movement Founder Joe Kiani met with her about the prevalence of medical errors, she was surprised to learn how common they were. Her office began to research the issue and was eventually given a list of the top nine medical errors by occurrence by federal agencies that track the issue.
1. Adverse drug events
2. Catheter-associated urinary tract infection
3. Central line-associated bloodstream infection
4. Injury from falls and immobility
5. Obstetrical adverse events
6. Pressure ulcers (bed sores)
7. Surgical site infections
8. Venous thrombosis (blood clots)
9. Ventilator-associated pneumonia
© Copyright ASC COMMUNICATIONS 2017. Interested in LINKING to or REPRINTING this content? View our policies by clicking here.