Pay for Blue Cross CEOs Exploded in 2011
Blues plans witnessed low medical utilization and large increases in membership, which led to higher bonuses in particular, according to the report.
In total, AIS Health looked at two publicly traded, for-profit Blues plans (WellPoint and Puerto Rico-based Triple-S Management Corp.), nine multistate, non-profit or mutual Blues plans and 24 single-state, non-profit or mutual Blues plans.
Here were the six highest-paid Blues CEOs in 2011, based on AIS Health research:
• Angela Braly, former CEO of WellPoint: $13.26 million
• Patricia Hemingway Hall, CEO of Health Care Service Corp.: $12.88 million
• Robert Lufrano, former CEO of Blue Cross Blue Shield of Florida: $6.05 million
• David Klein, CEO of Excellus BlueCross BlueShield in New York: $5.22 million
• Bruce Bodaken, CEO of Blue Shield of California: $4.56 million
• Kenneth Melani, MD, former CEO of Highmark: $4.35 million
A full list of Blues CEO compensation in 2011 can be found here.
More Articles on Blue Cross Blue Shield:
© Copyright ASC COMMUNICATIONS 2015. Interested in LINKING to or REPRINTING this content? View our policies by clicking here.
New from Becker's Hospital Review
100 Great Hospitals in America 2015