10 Things to Know About Carle Foundation Hospital
Carle Foundation Hospital in Urbana, Ill., has a long history of providing high-quality healthcare to the residents of east central Illinois.
Here are 10 things to know about Carle Foundation Hospital.
1. James Leonard, MD, serves as president and CEO of The Carle Foundation, a non-profit integrated healthcare system, which includes Carle Foundation Hospital, Carle Physician Group and for-profit Health Alliance Medical Plans.
2. Dennis Hesch serves as executive vice president and CFO.
3. Carle Foundation Hospital is a 325-bed regional care hospital. The hospital's campus features the Mills Breast Cancer Institute, Carle Cancer Center, Carle Spine Institute and Carle Heart and Vascular Institute.
4. Carle has 5,783 employees with 300 physicians through the Carle Physician Group.
5. According to the most recent financials posted in the American Hospital Directory, Carle Foundation Hospital recorded total revenue of more than $1.2 billion in 2011. Net income totaled more than $111 million for an 8.9 percent profit margin.
6. According to Carle Foundation Hospital's most recent annual report, it had 20,716 inpatient admissions — including 2,449 births; 61,583 emergency department patients; 909 trauma patients; 27,959 outpatient visits; and 12,905 outpatient/inpatient surgical patients in 2010.
7. Carle Foundation Hospital was named one of the nation's 100 Top Hospitals by Thomson Reuters in 2012.
8. In 1918, Margaret Burt Carle Morris left $40,000 to the city of Urbana, Ill., for the purpose of starting a hospital. Her donation led to the creation of The Urbana Memorial Hospital Association. Her name — Carle — has been maintained as testimony to the roots of the organization. In 1931, two physicians from the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn., moved to Urbana and opened what was then called Carle Memorial Hospital and the Rogers-Davison clinic. The clinic and hospital separated in 1946 but were integrated into one organization through a transaction, which was effective April 1, 2010.
9. Carle Physician Group is an outpatient practice serving more than 200,000 unique patients annually.
10. Of the $97 million Carle contributed in community benefit last year, more than $11 million went to improving access to care for the underserved, uninsured and underinsured.
More Articles on Hospital Profiles:10 Things to Know About Aultman Hospital
10 Things to Know About Medical Center of Plano
10 Things to Know About NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital
© Copyright ASC COMMUNICATIONS 2012. Interested in LINKING to or REPRINTING this content? View our policies by clicking here.