10 Things to Know About Akron General Medical Center
Here are 10 things to know about Akron General Medical Center, according to its website.
1. Thomas "Tim" Stover, MD, MBA, has served as CEO of Akron General since February 2012.
2. Debbie Gorbach serves as CFO of the hospital.
3. Akron General Medical Center has 511 beds and serves more than 1.2 million individuals throughout counties surrounding Akron.
4. Akron General is staffed by more than 1,000 physicians, 3,400 healthcare professionals and support staff and 550 volunteers.
5. According to the most recent financials posted in the American Hospital Directory, Akron General recorded total revenue of more than $1.3 billion last year. Net income totaled more than $10 million for a 0.8 percent profit margin.
6. According to 2011 statistics, Akron General had 7,200 inpatient surgeries; 9,400 outpatient surgeries; 2,800 births; and 119,000 outpatient visits.
7. Akron General Medical Center has been repeatedly named "Akron's Most Preferred Hospital for Overall Quality and Image" by National Research Corporation.
8. Founded in 1914 as Peoples Hospital, Akron General Medical Center has grown into a 511-bed, non-profit teaching hospital.
9. Akron General Medical Center owns and operates the area's only hospital specializing in rehabilitation — Edwin Shaw Rehabilitation Institute — just north of Akron in Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio. Edwin Shaw has 35 licensed rehabilitation beds.
10. As a major teaching hospital, Akron General trains future physicians through 11 high-quality medical residency programs. Akron General is a teaching affiliate of Northeast Ohio Medical University in Rootstown.
More Articles on Hospital Profiles:10 Things to Know About Buffalo General Hospital
10 Things to Know About Cleveland Clinic
10 Things to Know About Presbyterian Hospital in New Mexico
© Copyright ASC COMMUNICATIONS 2016. Interested in LINKING to or REPRINTING this content? View our policies by clicking here.
To receive the latest hospital and health system business and legal news and analysis from Becker's Hospital Review, sign-up for the free Becker's Hospital Review E-weekly by clicking here.