40 New Statistics on 2011 Physician Compensation

Physician salaries remained relatively flat — and in many cases negative — in 2011, as the average net compensation change across 20 different specialties was -1.7 percent, according to the latest physician compensation survey from The Medicus Firm.

The Medicus Firm recently released results for its ninth annual physician compensation survey. Overall, 2,582 physicians responded to the survey, and 80 percent of the respondents are currently in practice (the other 20 percent were in training as residents or fellows). The survey also included compensation results of physician assistants and nurse practitioners.

Here are the mean and median compensation statistics of the different physician specialties. (Note: Total annual compensation includes income from practice-related investments and excludes benefits. Resident and fellow income is not included. Statistics are listed in descending order by mean.)

Neurosurgery
Mean: $699,000
Median: $625,000

Orthopedic surgery
Mean: $515,000
Median: $445,000

Radiology
Mean: $438,000
Median: $429,000

Gastroenterology
Mean: $425,000
Median: $395,000

Oncology
Mean: $405,000
Median: $352,000

Cardiology (all modalities)
Mean: $402,000
Median: $395,000

Anesthesiology
Mean: $377,000
Median: $365,000

Otolaryngology
Mean: $330,000
Median: $331,000

Pulmonary medicine
Mean: $319,000
Median: $306,000

General surgery
Mean: $310,000
Median: $290,000

Obstetrics/gynecology
Mean: $267,000
Median: $270,000

Neurology
Mean: $263,000
Median: $254,000

Emergency medicine

Mean: $254,000
Median: $260,000

Psychiatry
Mean: $230,000
Median: $210,000

Hospitalist

Mean: $227,000
Median: $225,000

Internal medicine
Mean: $221,000
Median: $209,000

Pediatrics
Mean: $196,000
Median: $190,000

Family practice
Mean: $195,000
Median: $175,000

Physician assistant
Mean: $115,000
Median: $110,000

Nurse practitioner
Mean: $84,000
Median: $80,000

More Articles on Physician Compensation:

Women Physician Researchers Paid 16.3% Less Than Men

11 Physician Specialties With Largest Declines in Average Compensation

200 Statistics on Physician Compensation

© Copyright ASC COMMUNICATIONS 2017. Interested in LINKING to or REPRINTING this content? View our policies by clicking here.

 

Top 40 Articles from the Past 6 Months