Lean in the ED: 9 Steps
In addition, hospitals should not just use Lean to isolate and solve a single problem. Lean could be used for continuous problem solving, which will lead to ideal ED performance. Here are the nine basic Lean steps a hospital can use to map out a problem in the ED.
1. Problem awareness.
2. Clarify the problem.
3. Support with physical evidence.
4. Collect data to support hypothesis.
5. Define the problem.
6. Conduct root cause analysis.
7. Implement a change aimed at achieving the desired state.
8. Assess the impact of change.
9. Take additional action to maintain/continue improvement toward the next desired state.
More Articles on CEP America:
© Copyright ASC COMMUNICATIONS 2015. Interested in LINKING to or REPRINTING this content? View our policies by clicking here.
New from Becker's Hospital Review
100 Great Hospitals in America 2015