1st case of 'popcorn lung' linked to vaping, researchers suggest

Mackenzie Bean - Print  | 

A 17-year-old teen in Canada was diagnosed with a serious lung condition called bronchiolitis obliterans, or "popcorn lung," which researchers believe may be linked to vaping, according to a case study published in the Canadian Medical Association Journal.

The patient was hospitalized with a severe cough, difficulty breathing and fever, among other symptoms. The teen tested negative for signs of infections, but CT scans revealed bud-like nodules on his lungs — a sign of bronchiolitis. The patient responded well to corticosteroids and was discharged after 47 days.

The teen reported vaping with flavored products and THC in the five months before his hospitalization. Researchers could not confirm the exact cause of illness, but suggested vaping may have played a role, since many e-cigarette products contain a flavor compound known to cause bronchiolitis obliterans.

As of Nov. 20, the CDC has reported 2,290vaping cases in 49 states, along with 47 deaths. In these cases, the lung injuries resembled respiratory infections or chemical burns.

More articles on clinical leadership & infection control:
54% of anti-vaccine ads on Facebook were funded by 2 groups, study finds
Mailing patients free HIV tests increases detection rates, study finds
CDC updates clinical guidelines for treating EVALI

© Copyright ASC COMMUNICATIONS 2020. Interested in LINKING to or REPRINTING this content? View our policies by clicking here.