CHS to acquire majority ownership of 2 IU Health hospitals

Ayla Ellison (Twitter) - Print  | 

Franklin, Tenn.-based Community Health Systems has inked a definitive agreement to acquire an 80 percent ownership interest in IU Health La Porte (Ind.) Hospital and Knox, Ind.-based IU Health Starke Hospital. Under the deal, Indianapolis-based Indiana University Health will retain the remaining 20 percent ownership interest.

"We will support the work of these hospitals to improve the overall health of their communities by investing capital and expanding resources for physicians and employees to deliver high quality care," said Wayne T. Smith, chairman and CEO of CHS. "Economic development efforts in Northwest Indiana between Valparaiso and South Bend and a new relationship with IU Health make these hospitals strong additions to our network facilities."

With the addition of 227-bed La Porte Hospital and 50-bed Starke Hospital, CHS affiliates will operate 11 hospitals in Indiana.

More articles on healthcare industry transactions:

Partners-Hallmark merger deal falls through
10 recent hospital transactions and partnerships
Private equity firms make a splash in healthcare M&A

 

© Copyright ASC COMMUNICATIONS 2020. Interested in LINKING to or REPRINTING this content? View our policies by clicking here.