10% of medical practices still don't offer patient portals, MGMA poll finds

Jessica Kim Cohen - Print  | 

While most of today's medical practices offer a patient portal, practices are split on allowing patients to input their own patient-generated health data, according to a recent Medical Group Management Association survey.

MGMA, an Englewood, Colo.-based association of medical practice leaders, polled 1,700-plus members about the use of patient portals at their respective organizations in late July. These portals typically provide patients with online access to health data, appointment scheduling, billing and prescription refill requests.

The majority of respondents — 90 percent — indicated their practice offered a portal, while the remaining 10 percent reported that they did not. Of the medical practices that offered a portal, 43 percent said the platform allows patients to input their own patient-generated health data for clinical review.

Thirty-seven percent of respondents said their portal did not allow patients to add patient-generated health data to the portal. Twenty percent of respondents indicated they were unsure.

To access the MGMA Stat survey, click here.

More articles on EHRs & interoperability:
New technology, ancient origins: How Epic, Cerner & more got their names
Epic, NextGen leaders to head EHR Association's executive committee this year
16 hospitals, health systems seeking Allscripts, Cerner, Epic, Meditech talent

© Copyright ASC COMMUNICATIONS 2019. Interested in LINKING to or REPRINTING this content? View our policies by clicking here.

To receive the latest hospital and health system business and legal news and analysis from Becker's Hospital Review, sign-up for the free Becker's Hospital Review E-weekly by clicking here.