6-Part Bundle to Prevent Ventilator-Associated Pneumonia in Children
The authors propose a VAP prevention bundle for infants and children receiving mechanical ventilation. The bundle includes the following nursing interventions:
• Elevate the head of the bed 35 to 40 degrees.
• Perform hand hygiene before and after contact with the patient or the ventilator.
• Provide oral care according to the patient's age.
• Change ventilator circuit every seven days or when circuit is visibly soiled or malfunctioning.
• Suction endotracheal tube only when indicated by a clinical examination; do not instill physiological saline for suctioning.
• Drain condensation from ventilator circuit every two to four hours and before repositioning the patient.
More Articles on VAP:8 Hospitals Receive HHS Award for Eliminating Infections
Patient Safety Tool: Ventilator-Associated Pneumonia Prevention Guide
3 Benefits of CDC's New Ventilator-Associated Pneumonia Framework
© Copyright ASC COMMUNICATIONS 2015. Interested in LINKING to or REPRINTING this content? View our policies by clicking here.
To receive the latest hospital and health system business and legal news and analysis from Becker's Hospital Review, sign-up for the free Becker's Hospital Review E-weekly by clicking here.
New From Becker's Infection Control & Clinical Quality