Judge Still Undecided on WakeMed's Proposed Settlement

Share on Facebook
U.S. District Judge Terrence Boyle said he hasn't decided whether he will approve an $8 million settlement between Raleigh, N.C.-based WakeMed Health & Hospitals and federal prosecutors, as he still has significant concerns about the scope of the deal, according to a News & Observer report.  

This isn't the first time Judge Boyle has expressed uncertainty about WakeMed's settlement proposal. Last month, he called the proposal "a slap on the hand" for the 870-bed health system's alleged false claims to Medicare.

In a hearing Tuesday, the judge asked if the settlement is broad enough, if all wrongdoing was uncovered, if patients will be repaid and if the deal is in the public interest. Judge Boyle said if he does approve the settlement, he will write the order and add his own conditions, according to the report. He did not provide a date by which he will make his decision.

In January, Judge Boyle also criticized WakeMed for not having any officials present at the hearing. Yesterday, the health system's board chairman was at the defense table. WakeMed President and CEO Bill Atkinson also sat in the audience, according to the report.

More Articles on WakeMed:

Judge: WakeMed's Settlement Proposal Too Small for False Claims Allegations
WakeMed Settles Medicare Overbilling Charges With $8M
WakeMed Acquires Physician's Practice

© Copyright ASC COMMUNICATIONS 2012. Interested in LINKING to or REPRINTING this content? View our policies by clicking here.

 

New from Becker's Hospital Review

Anthem Blue Cross faces another lawsuit over narrow networks

Read Now