15 Recent Healthcare Lawsuits, Settlements
The following is a roundup of lawsuit updates, court holdings and settlements that involve the healthcare industry.
1. Dallas Physician Convicted in $3M Medicare Fraud Scheme
A federal jury in the Northern District of Texas convicted Joseph Megwa, MD, for his participation in a $3 million Medical fraud scheme.
2. LabMD Files Appeal in Federal Lawsuit Against FTC
Atlanta-based LabMD filed an appeal of a
3. Appeals Court Upholds $6.1M Fraud Judgment Against BCBS of Michigan
A $6.1 million fraud judgment against Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan was upheld by the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit.
4. $89M Judgment Entered Against Florida Oncologist in False Claims Act Case
An $89 million judgment was entered against Wasfi Makar, MD, for violations of the False Claims Act.
5. Supreme Court Will Not Review Athens Regional Medical Center Discrimination Suit
The U.S. Supreme Court declined to review a discrimination and retaliation case against
6. Class-Action Suit Filed Against Health Care Service Corporation Over Misused Profits
A class-action lawsuit was filed against Chicago-based Health Care Service Corporation, a Blue Cross Blue Shield insurer, alleging the company has not upheld its nonprofit mission by improperly spending more than $5 billion in profits.
7. Calloway Labs Settles False Claims Act Case for $4.7M
Woburn, Mass.-based Calloway Laboratories agreed to pay $4.7 million for submitting false claims to Medicare and
8. Judge Rules Against HHS in 340B Drug Discount Suit
U.S. District Judge Rudolph Contreras ruled against HHS in a suit challenging a final rule from the agency expanding the 340B drug discount program to rural and cancer hospitals as outlined in the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act.
9. Court Dismisses $50M False Claims Act Case Against Huron Consulting Group
The U.S. Appeals Court for the Second Circuit affirmed the dismissal of a False Claims Act lawsuit against Chicago-based Huron Consulting Group.
10. Class-Action Lawsuit Filed Against UnitedHealthcare For Alleged Mental Health Law Violation
A class-action lawsuit was filed against health insurer UnitedHealthcare alleging the company is acting in violation of the federal mental health parity law by improperly denying mental health and substance-abuse related claims.
11. Supreme Court Turns Away Suit Against Mercy Health Over Employee Facebook Posts
The U.S. Supreme Court rejected a request to review a case against Mercy Hospital Independence (
12. Judge Issues Sanctions Against Halifax For Destroying Files
A federal magistrate judge ordered sanctions against Daytona Beach, Fla.-based Halifax Health for destroying patient files that were to be produced as part of an ongoing legal battle, and threatened the medical center with additional sanctions for filing a "tardy and deficient" statement with the court.
13. King's Daughters Medical Center to Pay Nearly $41M in Landmark Case
Ashland, Ky.-based King's
14. Medtronic Settles Physician Kickback Case for $9.9M
Minneapolis.-based Medtronic agreed to pay the government $9.9 million to settle allegations the company paid physicians kickbacks to induce them to implant pacemakers and defibrillators manufactured and sold by Medtronic.
15. LabMD Trial Delayed During House Oversight Investigation
An administrative law judge delayed trial in the case the Federal Trade Commission brought against Atlanta-based LabMD concerning a data breach.
More Articles on Healthcare Lawsuits:
© Copyright ASC COMMUNICATIONS 2016. Interested in LINKING to or REPRINTING this content? View our policies by clicking here.