22 recent hospital transactions and partnerships
The following healthcare mergers, acquisitions and general partnerships took place or were announced in the past week.
1. Quorum Health to divest Alabama hospital
Quorum Health Corp., the 36-hospital spinoff of Franklin, Tenn.-based Community Health Systems, inked a definitive agreement to sell 60-bed Cherokee Medical Center in Centre, Ala.
2. VA Salt Lake City Health Care System considers ending contract with local hospital
Officials at the VA Salt Lake City Health Care System said a potential lapse in the health system's contract with the Ely, Nev.-based William Bee Ririe Critical Access Hospital and Rural Health Clinic would not cause issues for veterans seeking care.
3. Trinity EMS terminates contract with Lowell General in favor of Steward Health Care
Lowell, Mass.-based Trinity EMS declined to renew its medical directorship contract with Lowell (Mass.) General Hospital and, instead, signed a deal with Boston-based Steward Health Care.
4. Kaleida Health to become parent company of Upper Allegheny Health System
State officials approved Buffalo, N.Y.-based Kaleida Health's proposal to become the parent company of Olean, N.Y.-based Upper Allegheny Health System and its member hospitals.
5. 4 things to know about St. Joseph Health's acquisition of Medical Specialties Managers
Irvine, Calif.-based St. Joseph Health acquired Medical Specialties Managers, a physician practice organization based in Orange, Calif.
6. Mednax acquires 4th physician group practice of 2017
Fort Lauderdale, Fla.-based Mednax acquired Overland Park, Kan.-based Midwest Perinatal Associates, its fourth physician practice acquisition of 2017.
7. CHI Franciscan, Virginia Mason finalize clinical affiliation
Tacoma, Wash.-based CHI Franciscan Health and Seattle-based Virginia Mason Health System signed a definitive agreement to form a strategic affiliation to benefit residents in the Puget Sound area.
8. Ardent Health Services completes acquisition of LHP Hospital Group
Nashville, Tenn.-based Ardent Health Services successfully completed its acquisition of Plano, Texas-based LHP Hospital Group, making AHS the second largest private, for-profit hospital operator by revenue in the nation.
9. Montefiore-owned hospital partners with Scarsdale Medical Group
Scarsdale (N.Y.) Medical Group and White Plains (N.Y.) Hospital signed a partnership agreement to promote coordinated care for residents in the community.
10. California hospital reopens under new name, ownership
Thanks to new management, formerly shuttered Tustin, Calif.-based Newport Specialty Hospital opened its emergency department for the first time after nearly a decade in January.
11. Baptist Memorial partners with Priority Ambulance to improve transport services
Memphis, Tenn.-based Baptist Memorial Health Care partnered with Knoxville, Tenn.-based Priority Ambulance to provide quicker, more efficient emergency transportation services between the health system's various locations.
12. Nashville Medical Group integrates with Ascension-affiliated physician group
Nashville Medical Group signed a partnership agreement with Saint Thomas Medical Partners, a physician group practicing in middle Tennessee and southern Kentucky.
13. PinnacleHealth pursues affiliation with UPMC, inks deal to acquire 4 CHS hospitals
PinnacleHealth, a three-hospital system based in Harrisburg, Pa., revealed plans to expand its network of acute care hospitals and partner with a bigger system.
14. CareView Communications receives purchasing agreement
CareView Communications expanded its hospital membership through its recently launched group purchasing agreement.
15. Carolinas HealthCare, YMCA expand partnership
Charlotte, N.C.-based Carolinas HealthCare System and the YMCA of Greater Charlotte expanded their existing partnership to offer a greater array of services to help residents in the area live healthier lives.
16. Avera Sacred Heart Hospital purchases South Dakota specialty hospital
Yankton, S.D.-based Avera Sacred Heart Hospital acquired the 10-bed Lewis & Clark Specialty Hospital, also in Yankton.
17. Health Management Associates to acquire Seema Verma's consulting firm
Health Management Associates, a New York City-based healthcare consultancy group, signed an agreement to acquire SVC, an Indianapolis-based consulting firm owned by Seema Verma, who was recently confirmed as administrator of CMS.
18. Michigan Medicine, St. Joseph Mercy announce joint venture
St. Joseph Mercy Health system — a member of Livonia, Mich.-based Trinity Health — and Michigan Medicine in Ann Arbor will establish a joint venture giving both systems an interest in St. Joseph Mercy Chelsea hospital.
19. 7 Indiana hospitals, universities team up to create IU medical school
Seven Indiana hospitals and universities partnered to boost residency options and economic development in the state through the construction of a new medical school.
20. Cone Health, Randolph Health to explore affiliation possibilities
Asheboro, N.C.-based Randolph Health and Greensboro, N.C.-based Cone Health entered into a period of due diligence to explore possible affiliation models.
21. Americore Health deal to purchase Sonoma West Medical Center collapses
Fort Lauderdale, Fla.-based Americore Health ended motions to acquire Sebastopol, Calif.-based Sonoma West Medical Center.
22. UnityPoint Health-Waterloo reaches tentative agreement to acquire bankrupt hospital
UnityPoint Health-Waterloo (Iowa) reached a tentative agreement to acquire Marshalltown-based Central Iowa Healthcare, which includes a 49-bed acute care hospital, an outpatient center and four primary care clinics.
More articles on transactions and valuations:
Judge's opinion in Advocate, NorthShore merger released: 6 things to know
This week's 3 most-read transactions and valuations stories
Breaking up is hard to do: 3 healthcare transactions that fell apart so far in 2017
© Copyright ASC COMMUNICATIONS 2017. Interested in LINKING to or REPRINTING this content? View our policies by clicking here.