10 Things to Know About University of Mississippi Medical Center
The University of Mississippi Medical Center in Jackson is the state's only academic health science center. UMMC provides wide-ranging patient care programs through University of Mississippi Health Care, its parent company.
Here are 10 things to know about the University of Mississippi Medical Center.
1. David Powe serves as chief administrative officer.
2. James L. Wentz, MBA, serves as CFO.
3. There are three specialized hospitals on UMMC's Jackson campus, including the only children's hospital in Mississippi, a women and infants' hospital and a critical care hospital. UMMC has 429 general medical/surgical beds and 161 special care beds.
4. With over 9,100 full- and part-time employees, UMMC is one of the largest employers in Mississippi. The faculty group practice of the School of Medicine includes 450 physicians.
5. In 2011, UMMC recorded a total revenue of more than $2 billion. Net income was more than $4 million for a 0.2 percent profit margin, according to the American Hospital Directory.
6. According to the American Hospital Directory, UMMC conducted 12,800 inpatient surgeries and 13,100 outpatient surgeries in 2011. The hospital had 4,500 births; 229,400 outpatient visits; and 20,100 emergency room admissions in 2011.
7. In 2012, UMMC was recognized in the specialties of cancer, nephrology and urology in the U.S News & World Report's Best Hospitals rankings.
8. The medical center opened in 1955, but its beginnings date to 1903 when a two-year medical school was established in Oxford, Miss.
9. The hospital has the only level one trauma center, the only level three neonatal intensive care nursery and the only organ transplant programs in the state, according to its website.
10. In February, UMMC began work on a 30-year campus master plan, which calls for the creation of a new campus entrance and improvements to existing campus entrances. The improvements are needed to handle growth in vehicle traffic on campus and pave the way for construction of two new campus buildings devoted to medical education and research, according to the website.
More Articles on Hospital Profiles:10 Things to Know About Bozeman Deaconess Hospital
10 Things to Know About Aurora BayCare Medical Center
10 Things to Know About Gifford Medical Center
© Copyright ASC COMMUNICATIONS 2012. Interested in LINKING to or REPRINTING this content? View our policies by clicking here.