10 Things to Know About University Medical Center of Southern Nevada
The University Medical Center of Southern Nevada in Las Vegas is one of the 50 largest public hospitals in America. It is a major teaching hospital and is affiliated with the University of Nevada's School of Medicine in Reno, Nev. The hospital serves as the school's clinical campus.
1. The CEO of UMC is Brian Brannman.
2. Stephanie Merril serves as the CFO of UMC.
3. UMC has 564 beds, including 381 routine services beds and 149 special care beds.
4. UMC has 3,624 employees, according to the American Hospital Directory.
5. The hospital recorded $1.9 billion in gross charges last year with a net income loss of $17.7 million, as reported by the American Hospital Directory.
6. UMC had 12,300 inpatient surgeries; 15,600 outpatient surgeries; 2,700 births; and 283,000 total outpatient visits in 2011. The emergency room admitted 33,000 patients and saw 48,100 discharged ER patients.
7. University Medical Center of Southern Nevada received the 2012 "Get with the Guidelines Gold Plus" Award for Heart Failure and for Stroke from the American Heart Association.
8. The hospital opened in 1931 as Clark County Indigent Hospital. It was a 20-bed hospital with one physician and one nurse who were on-call 24/7.
9. UMC is the first and only Level 1 Trauma hospital in Nevada, according to the hospital.
10. The Lions Burn Care Center is housed in UMC and is the only burn care facility in Nevada, according to the hospital.
If you have additional information you'd like included on the hospital featured above, or would like to recommend a hospital to be profiled in the future, please contact Lindsey Dunn, editor in chief, Becker's Hospital Review at
© Copyright ASC COMMUNICATIONS 2012. Interested in LINKING to or REPRINTING this content? View our policies by clicking here.
To receive the latest hospital and health system business and legal news and analysis from Becker's Hospital Review, sign-up for the free Becker's Hospital Review E-weekly by clicking here.