10 Things to Know About Sarasota Memorial Hospital
Here are 10 things to know about Sarasota Memorial Hospital, according to its website.
1. Gwen MacKenzie, RN, is the president and CEO of Sarasota Memorial Hospital. She was trained as an oncology nurse and worked at Detroit Medical Center for 25 years in various roles, ranging from nurse to COO to interim CEO.
2. William Woeltjen serves as Sarasota Memorial Hospital's CFO. He was officially named CFO in November 2010 and previously was the interim CFO and treasurer of the hospital and health system.
3. Sarasota Memorial Hospital has 806 beds, making it one of the largest government-run hospitals in the country.
4. The hospital has roughly 4,000 staff members, more than 800 physicians and approximately 1,000 volunteers — making it one of the largest employers in Sarasota County.
5. According to the American Hospital Directory, Sarasota Memorial Hospital posted nearly $1.71 billion in total revenue. Net income equaled $69.7 million for a 4.1 percent profit margin.
6. In 2011, Sarasota Memorial Hospital recorded almost 25,000 admissions. There were more than 384,000 outpatient cases, excluding emergencies, and emergency department visits topped 95,000.
7. HealthGrades named Sarasota Memorial Hospital to its "America's 50 Best Hospitals" list for 2012, and it also gave the hospital a Patient Safety Excellence Award. Sarasota Memorial Hospital is one of five hospitals in the country to receive both of those awards for five years in a row.
8. Sarasota Memorial Hospital first opened Nov. 2, 1925 as the 32-bed Sarasota Hospital. The facility cost roughly $40,000 to build.
9. In 1954, the hospital changed its named from Sarasota Municipal Hospital to Sarasota Memorial Hospital in honor of those who served in World War I and World War II.
10. In 2005, Sarasota Memorial Hospital became one of the first non-academic hospitals to conduct clinical research in several different specialties.
More Articles on Hospital Profiles:
© Copyright ASC COMMUNICATIONS 2012. Interested in LINKING to or REPRINTING this content? View our policies by clicking here.
To receive the latest hospital and health system business and legal news and analysis from Becker's Hospital Review, sign-up for the free Becker's Hospital Review E-weekly by clicking here.