10 Things to Know About Greater Baltimore Medical Center
Here are 10 things to know about Greater Baltimore Medical Center, according to its website.
1. John Chessare, MD, has served as GBMC's president and CEO since June 2010. He is board certified in pediatrics and has served in various pediatric departmental roles at the University of Massachusetts Medical Center in Worcester and Boston Children's Hospital.
2. Eric Melchior is the CFO of GBMC. He has been with the hospital as CFO since March 2000 and has been engrossed in the healthcare financial sector for more than 25 years.
3. GBMC has 310 beds and is a community hospital within a suburb of Baltimore.
4. There are nearly 1,300 physicians on GBMC's medical staff, and overall, there are 3,500 employees in clinical and non-clinical areas, making GBMC one of the largest private employers in Baltimore County.
5. According to the most recent financials posted in the American Hospital Directory, GBMC posted $449.4 million in total revenue last year. It also had more than $14.7 million in net income for a 3.3 percent profit margin.
6. Annually, GBMC handles more than 26,700 inpatients, and its emergency department sees more than 60,000 patients.
7. In 2012, GBMC received a Distinguished Hospital for Clinical Excellence award from HealthGrades, one of only 263 hospitals. It also is a Breast Imaging Center of Excellence and a Bariatric Surgery Center of Excellence and has several other clinical accreditations.
8. GBMC physicians performed the first bilateral simultaneous cochlear implant surgery at a non-academic community hospital in Maryland.
9. GBMC's department of radiation oncology was the first in the greater Baltimore region to use guided radiation therapy with cone beam technology for targeting tumors.
10. The hospital is also a leader among community hospitals. It was the first community hospital to join the American College of Surgeons National Surgical Quality Improvement Program, which aims to improve quality standards in surgeries, and it was the first community hospital in Maryland to offer laparoendoscopic single-site surgery.
More Articles on Hospital Profiles:
© Copyright ASC COMMUNICATIONS 2012. Interested in LINKING to or REPRINTING this content? View our policies by clicking here.
To receive the latest hospital and health system business and legal news and analysis from Becker's Hospital Review, sign-up for the free Becker's Hospital Review E-weekly by clicking here.