10 Things to Know About Bellevue Hospital
Bellevue Hospital in New York City is the flagship facility of New York City's Health and Hospitals Corp., and has been affiliated with the New York University School of Medicine since 1968.
Here are 10 things to know about the hospital, according to its website.
1. Linda Curtis serves as CEO.
2. Aaron Cohen serves as CFO.
3. Bellevue Hospital has 828 beds in operation. The hospital facilities include a 25-story patient care facility housing six intensive care units, an emergency service and trauma center and a four-story modern ambulatory care pavilion.
4. Bellevue Hospital has 4,298 full time employees with more than 1,200 full-time attending physicians.
5. Total revenue at Bellevue Hospital reached $1.1 billion last year, according to Medicare cost reports analyzed by the American Hospital Directory. The hospital posted a net loss of $158.2 million for a 13.8 percent negative operating margin.
6. The hospital received 527,589 clinic visits; 125,798 emergency room visits; and 31,234 inpatient discharges in 2011.
7. In 2012, Bellevue Hospital received its third consecutive Outstanding Patient Experience Award from HealthGrades.
8. Bellevue Hospital is the oldest continuously operating hospital in America, according to its website. The hospital traces its roots back to 1736 when a six-bed infirmary opened on the second floor of the New York City Almshouse, four years before the birth of George Washington and forty years before the signing of the Declaration of Independence.
9. Due partly to its affiliation with the NYU School of Medicine, Bellevue Hospital has been the site of many milestones in the history of medicine, from the establishment of the first ambulance service and first maternity ward, to a Nobel Prize-winning cardiac catheterization laboratory.
10. Bellevue's Children's Comprehensive Psychiatric Emergency Service is the only one of its kind in New York State.
More Articles on Hospital Profiles:10 Things to Know About St. Joseph Hospital
10 Things to Know About Erie County Medical Center
10 Things to Know About Virginia Mason Medical Center
© Copyright ASC COMMUNICATIONS 2012. Interested in LINKING to or REPRINTING this content? View our policies by clicking here.