10 Things to Know About North Shore University Hospital
Here are 10 things to know about North Shore University Hospital.
1. Michael Dowling oversees North Shore University Hospital as president and CEO of North Shore-LIJ Health System.
2. Robert Shapiro, CPA, serves as executive vice president and CFO of North Shore-LIJ.
3. The hospital has 804 beds. The hospital also features the Sandra Atlas Bass Cardiology Center, the Don Monti Cancer Center, the Schwartz Ambulatory Surgery Center and the Stern Family Center for Extended Care & Rehabilitation.
4. Approximately 2,700 specialist and subspecialist physicians practice at North Shore University Hospital.
5. In 2011, North Shore University Hospital recorded total revenue of $4.4 billion. Net income was more than $122 million for a 2.8 percent profit margin, according to the American Hospital Directory*.
6. The hospital conducted 21,300 inpatient surgeries and 18,200 outpatient surgeries in 2011. The hospital also had 6,000 births and 114,700 inpatient visits in 2011, according to the American Hospital Directory*.
7. U.S. News & World Report's "America's Best Hospitals" listing for 2011 to 2012 ranked North Shore University Hospital among the nation's top 50 hospitals in the areas of gastroenterology and geriatrics.
8. Construction to build North Shore University Hospital began in May 1951 with a groundbreaking ceremony that was televised by NBC. The hospital opened in 1953 with an inpatient capacity of 169.
9. In 2011, North Shore University Hospital received the Commission on Cancer's Outstanding Achievement Award, which recognizes cancer programs that strive for excellence in providing quality care to cancer patients.
10. The hospital serves as an academic campus for Hofstra North Shore-LIJ School of Medicine, New York City-based NYU School of Medicine and Bronx, N.Y.-based Albert Einstein College of Medicine.
*Data for North Shore University Hospital from the American Hospital Directory includes information for Syosset (N.Y.) Hospital.
If you have additional information you'd like included on the hospital featured above or would like to recommend a hospital to be profiled in the future, please contact Lindsey Dunn, editor in chief, Becker's Hospital Review at firstname.lastname@example.org.
More Articles on Hospital Profiles:10 Things to Know About Keck Hospital of USC
10 Things to Know About University of Mississippi Medical Center
10 Things to Know About Bozeman Deaconess Hospital
© Copyright ASC COMMUNICATIONS 2014. Interested in LINKING to or REPRINTING this content? View our policies by clicking here.