10 Things to Know About Montefiore Medical Center
Here are 10 things to know about Montefiore Medical Center, according to its website.
1. Steven Safyer, MD, serves as president and CEO of Montefiore Medical Center. He has been at Montefiore for more than 30 years, and he is board-certified in internal medicine.
2. Joel Perlman is Montefiore Medical Center's CFO. Previously, he was CFO of St. Francis Medical Center in Trenton, N.J.
3. Montefiore Medical Center has 1,491 acute-care beds and treats the Bronx community, which has more than 1.4 million people.
4. Overall, the medical center has 17,600 employees, and there are 1,760 employed physicians on Montefiore's medical staff.
5. Last year, across all of Montefiore's divisions, the medical center posted total revenue of $7.1 billion. Net income topped $134 million for a profit margin of 1.9 percent, according to the American Hospital Directory.
6. In 2011, Montefiore Medical Center had 90,000 total admissions, 303,000 emergency department visits and more than 2.7 million other ambulatory visits.
7. U.S. News & World Report recently ranked Montefiore Medical Center 46th in the country for its diabetes and endocrinology care, and the hospital is also ranked nationally in four pediatric specialties.
8. Jewish philanthropists originally founded Montefiore Medical Center as the Montefiore Home for Chronic Invalids in 1884.
9. Montefiore physicians and researchers developed the cardiotachometer in the 1920s. The cardiotachometer was one of the most innovative ways to measure heart beats at the time and is now on display in the Smithsonian Museum in Washington, D.C.
10. Montefiore Medical Center lays claim to several other medical breakthroughs. In 1992, Montefiore surgeons were the first in the United States to perform a minimally invasive repair of an abdominal aortic aneurysm, and the hospital also performed the first carotid stenting during heart transplant surgery, among many others.
If you have additional information you'd like included on the hospital featured above or would like to recommend a hospital to be profiled in the future, please contact Lindsey Dunn, editor in chief, Becker's Hospital Review at email@example.com.
More Articles on Hospital Profiles:
© Copyright ASC COMMUNICATIONS 2014. Interested in LINKING to or REPRINTING this content? View our policies by clicking here.
To receive the latest hospital and health system business and legal news and analysis from Becker's Hospital Review, sign-up for the free Becker's Hospital Review E-weekly by clicking here.