10 Things to Know About Maine Medical Center
Here are 10 things to know about Maine Medical Center.
1. Richard Petersen serves as president and CEO of Maine Medical Center. He also was MMC's executive vice president and COO for nine years.
2. John Heye is Maine Medical Center's CFO, and he has more than 35 years of managerial and executive experience in the healthcare industry.
3. Maine Medical Center is the state's largest hospital with 637 beds.
4. More than 6,000 people work at Maine Medical Center, and the hospital also has the state's largest multispecialty medical group, Maine Medical Partners, which employs more than 175 physicians.
5. Last year, Maine Medical Center recorded more than $1.46 billion in total revenue, according to the most recent data from the American Hospital Directory. Net income totaled $33.8 million for a 2.3 percent operating margin.
6. Last year, Maine Medical Center's emergency department recorded 60,000 visits. The hospital also conducts more than 26,000 surgical procedures each year across its 30 operating rooms.
7. Maine Medical Center, a Magnet facility, is ranked as the number one hospital in Maine, according U.S. News & World Report's 2012-2013 rankings.
8. Maine Medical Center, initially known as Maine General Hospital, opened in 1874 as a 40-bed facility. It took five years to plan, fundraise and build the hospital.
9. When Maine Medical Center opened, the only other hospitals in the state were a marine hospital in Portland and a psychiatric facility in Augusta.
10. The Maine Eye and Ear Infirmary opened in 1890 to provide eye and ear care for the poor, and Children's Hospital opened 18 years later. Maine General Hospital merged with the other two institutions in 1951 to create Maine Medical Center.
If you have additional information you'd like included on the hospital featured above or would like to recommend a hospital to be profiled in the future, please contact Lindsey Dunn, editor in chief, Becker's Hospital Review at firstname.lastname@example.org.
More Articles on Hospital Profiles:
© Copyright ASC COMMUNICATIONS 2015. Interested in LINKING to or REPRINTING this content? View our policies by clicking here.
To receive the latest hospital and health system business and legal news and analysis from Becker's Hospital Review, sign-up for the free Becker's Hospital Review E-weekly by clicking here.