10 Things to Know About Cooper University Hospital
Here are 10 things to know about Cooper University Hospital.
1. John Sheridan Jr., JD, is president and CEO of Cooper University Hospital and its parent organization, The Cooper Health System. Before joining Cooper, he was a senior partner and co-chairman of the law firm Riker, Danzig, Scherer, Hyland & Perretti.
2. Douglas Shirley serves as CFO of Cooper University Hospital. He first joined Cooper in 2009 as vice president of revenue cycle.
3. Cooper University Hospital has 600 licensed beds and has expanded heavily over the past several years. The Cooper Cancer Institute is schedule to open in 2013, and the hospital also has heart, bone and joint, and neurological institutes.
4. There are more than 5,500 total employees across Cooper University Hospital. The hospital's medical staff is comprised of 732 physicians and 118 medical students.
5. In 2011, Cooper University Hospital recorded $2.61 billion in total revenue, according to the American Hospital Directory. The hospital posted a net loss of $2.45 million for a negative 0.1 percent operating margin. Currently, the hospital has a "BBB" bond rating from Standard & Poor's.
6. Last year, Cooper University Hospital recorded more than 24,900 hospital admissions, more than 64,900 emergency department visits and more than 486,000 outpatient visits.
7. Cooper University Hospital has increasingly won several awards over the years, including the Consumer Choice Award for seven straight years.
8. Cooper University Hospital opened in 1887. A prominent Quaker family with the last name Cooper opened a hospital to provide care for the indigent patients of Camden.
9. In June 2004, Cooper University Hospital started a $220 million expansion to the hospital's health sciences campus, which included a new 10-floor patient care pavilion.
10. The Cooper Medical School of Rowan University, which uses Cooper University Hospital as its teaching facility, is one of the newest medical schools in the country and the 135th allopathic medical school overall. The Cooper Medical School's first class of students arrived on campus yesterday.
If you have additional information you'd like included on the hospital featured above or would like to recommend a hospital to be profiled in the future, please contact Lindsey Dunn, editor in chief, Becker's Hospital Review at email@example.com.
More Articles on Hospital Profiles:
© Copyright ASC COMMUNICATIONS 2017. Interested in LINKING to or REPRINTING this content? View our policies by clicking here.
To receive the latest hospital and health system business and legal news and analysis from Becker's Hospital Review, sign-up for the free Becker's Hospital Review E-weekly by clicking here.