8 Recommendations to Speed Health Information Sharing
The Bipartisan Policy Center offers nine recommendations to aid information exchange and coordinated care.
1. Develop a national strategy and long-term plan for standards and interoperability to support a broad set of healthcare priorities.
2. Primary care clinicians, medical specialties and hospitals should collaborate on defining common information sharing needs.
3. The federal government should provide sub-regulatory and explanatory guidance to support both "query" access to priority information and transmission of imaging test results needed for transitions of care.
4. Develop and implement a national strategy for improving accuracy of patient matching.
5. Explore principles, policies, standards and strategies for improving the accuracy of matching using consumer-facilitated approaches. Shared services should also be explored to improve the efficiency and effectiveness of methods designed to improve accuracy in patient matching.
6. HHS should establish an anti-kickback safe harbor and Stark exception for payments associated with the electronic transmission of data that accompanies a referral or order.
7. Extend Stark exceptions and anti-kickback safe harbors for health IT donations and assure robust interoperability provisions.
8. HHS should issue comprehensive and clear guidance on compliance with federal privacy and security laws.
9. HHS should work with the private sector to develop technical standards and guidance that support different models of patient consent.
More Articles on Health Information Exchange:Study: 46% of Healthcare Leaders Need to Assess Hospitals' Capacity for HIE
When HIT Implementation is Challenging, 8 Tools & Services to Consider
HIE-HIT Collaboration Group Advises ONC on Health IT Disaster Responses
© Copyright ASC COMMUNICATIONS 2012. Interested in LINKING to or REPRINTING this content? View our policies by clicking here.
To receive the latest hospital and health system business and legal news and analysis from Becker's Hospital Review, sign-up for the free Becker's Hospital Review E-weekly by clicking here.